Having a cricket in your Pittsburgh, PA house or listening to the loud cricket insect sound all night are just some of the problems this pest can introduce to your life. Proactive prevention and ongoing pest control are essential for eliminating infestations of this insect.
Understanding House Crickets
House crickets are a highly common cricket that is often seen or heard in Pittsburgh homes. They are very recognizable and are light to grey-brown in color, have round heads, oval-shaped bodies, and large hind legs. Crickets are nocturnal insects, and the males create the notable cricket insect sound as part of a mating song. You will hear this sound at night or in the early morning, and it can be quite loud with larger infestations.
Crickets will often invade your home during the change in seasons as they look for warm, dark, and damp areas to live. That said, it is possible to encounter a cricket infestation year-round; this insect prefers living in kitchens, basements, and bathrooms.
Though many individuals are familiar with crickets, they can cause more serious problems around your home. The following are some ways crickets can disrupt your household:
- Cricket infestations create a lot of noise as the males chirp all night long. When an infestation grows, so does the sound, and it can be a source of many sleepless, irritated nights.
- Crickets are not likely to bite humans, but they can leave behind droppings that contain diseases like E.coli and salmonella.
- Crickets will damage your home by chewing on fabrics and furniture, leaving behind a costly repair bill.
How To Get Rid Of Crickets
If you want to know how to get rid of crickets, the best thing you can do is follow the below cricket prevention tips. These will help you get rid of crickets from your property and give you some peace from this pest.
- Deal with leaks both inside and outside of your property to fix up any areas of excess moisture. Crickets love moisture and dark areas. Pay close attention to areas like bathrooms, basements, and kitchens. It would be best if you also cleaned up any liquid spills as soon as possible.
- Seal up any potential cricket entry points around your home. Replace window and door screens, update weather stripping, and install door sweeps to remove any cracks or gaps that crickets can use to invade your home.
- Invest in an amber-colored bug light or a motion-activated light if you have to use outdoor lighting on your property to keep outdoor cricket presence to a minimum. Outdoor lighting is a significant factor in attracting crickets.
- Vacuum carpets and rugs around your home and declutter frequently to remove any cricket eggs or waste that may have managed to make it inside.
- Dispose of your trash in sealed bags and seal all trash cans to reduce odors that attract crickets.
- Trim your grass to eliminate hiding places for crickets.
Effective Cricket Control With Pittsburgh Pest Control
The best way to get rid of crickets and keep this pest out of your home is by investing in an ongoing relationship with the professionals at Pittsburgh Pest Control. These experts will be able to provide you with targeted solutions that help you claim your property back from this pest, allowing you to rest peacefully and without the risk of encountering crickets any longer. Reach out to us today to learn more about our pest control services.
Tags: cricket control | cricket identification | cricket prevention tips
Request Your Free Estimate Today
Complete the form below to request your no obligation estimate.