Carpet Beetle Identification
What do carpet beetles look like?
Carpet beetles are fabric pests that feed on various fabrics and things made from animal products like wool, fur, silk, feathers, and leather. They also feed on dry goods stored in pantry areas.
Physical features of a carpet beetle include:
- A small, oval-shaped body,
- A ladybug-like appearance.
- Black, white, brown, red, white, or yellow mottled colors
- Front wings that provide a hard, protective cover over the hind wings.
- Worm-like larvae covered in bristle-like hairs.
Are carpet beetles dangerous?
Carpet beetles are damaging pests when they are in our homes. Females lay eggs on things in our homes like dry goods, rugs, blankets, upholstered furniture, and other fabric items. When the larvae hatch, they feed on and damage those items.
Carpet beetles are often confused with bed bugs. Carpet beetle larvae like to feed on the oils in our hair and on our bodies. They climb over us as we sleep, the bristles on the larva’s body causes an itchy skin rash to develop on some people, a rash that is often confused with bed bug bites.
Why do I have a carpet beetle problem?
If food sources ever become scarce, adult carpet beetles often find a way into our homes and other structures. In addition to the search for food, they also move inside after being attracted by exterior lights. Carpet beetles move in through spaces around windows and doors or other entry points they find.
Where will I find carpet beetles?
Protect your home from damaging carpet beetles with the help of the pest professionals at Pittsburgh Pest Control. Our eco-minded pest control solutions solve pest problems using products safe for the environment, children, and pets. We take pride in offering exceptional customer service, and our experienced and friendly professionals will work with you to solve your property’s pest problems.
To learn more about our effective carpet beetle control solutions, reach out to Pittsburgh Pest Control today!
How can I prevent carpet beetles in the future?
Use the following prevention tips to avoid problems with carpet beetles:
- Keep adults out of your home by sealing openings around windows and doors or in exterior walls.
- Check over flowers or other potted plants that were outdoors before bringing them inside.
- Regularly vacuum carpets, upholstery, and upholstered furniture to get rid of stray carpet beetles.
- Store blankets, clothing, and other fabric items in airtight plastic containers instead of cardboard boxes that can be easily accessed by carpet beetles.
- Dry clean clothing, blankets, and other fabric items before storing them away.
- Store dry goods in the pantry area in glass or plastic containers to keep food out of the carpet beetles’ reach.
Request Your Free Estimate Today
Complete the form below to request your no obligation estimate.